Publications | Independent Assessment Process (IAP) Fact Sheets

IAP compensation for day students

Day students and the Independent Assessment Process (IAP)

The IAP is an out of court process for resolving claims of abuse suffered at an IRS. The IAP is part of the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement (SA) which was implemented in September 2007. The Government of Canada signed this agreement with former IRS students and their lawyers as well as with legal counsel for the Assembly of First Nations and the churches which administered the schools.

Under the SA the Indian Residential School Adjudication Secretariat (IRSAS) independently administers IAP claims in a fair and impartial manner.

Claiming compensation as a day student

The IAP may compensate you as a former day student at an IRS. As well you may receive compensation if you were under the age of 21 and allowed on school premises for a school activity.

To be eligible, your claim must prove at least one of the following:

  • You suffered sexual abuse by IRS employees, other adults lawfully on the premises or other IRS students.
  • You suffered serious physical abuse by IRS employees, other adults lawfully on the premises or other IRS students.
  • You have suffered serious psychological consequences as the result of other wrongful acts committed by IRS employees or other adults lawfully on the premises.

Based on your claim, IRSAS will follow compensation rules that define how much you will receive. This will be according to a scale that recognizes both the abuse and the effects of the abuse on your life.

What option do I have as a day student.

As a former IRS student who did not live at the school, you can file a lawsuit against the Government of Canada or the church that ran your IRS.

Do I need a lawyer for my claim?

The IAP is based on complex legal concepts and processes.

This is why every party who signed the SA encourages you to hire a lawyer to help with your IAP claim. Once you have legal counsel, it is the lawyer’s responsibility to ensure claim procedures happen as they should and when they should. To find a lawyer with experience doing IAP claims, go to

What other help can I get as a former IRS student?

You have access to a full range of support services such as Resolution Support Workers, the Crisis Line and the IAP Info Line:

  • Counseling is available on a 24-hour basis by calling 1-866-925-4419.
  • IAP application forms and other information are available at or by calling 1-877-635-2648.

Is there anything else I need to know?

You can get more information by visiting or calling toll-free 1-877-635-2648.

June 2011


image: Eligibility for the IAP: Day students vs day schools
Click here for a text version.