Independent Assessment Process (IAP) Fact Sheets

My Records, My Choice

If you made a claim in the

  • Independent Assessment Process (IAP) or
  • Alternative Dispute Resolution process (ADR)

This booklet has important information about your confidential records.

The IAP is the process for compensating claims of Indian residential school abuse. The deadline for IAP applications was in 2012.

The ADR was the earlier process for the same types of claims.

What are my records?

Your records are:

  • your IAP or ADR application form
  • the printed record (transcript) of your testimony
  • the voice recording of your testimony, and
  • the decision on your claim.

Where are my records?

Your records are being kept securely at the IAP Secretariat.

And my other records?

The IAP Secretariat is required to destroy other records after the end of your claim, such as your medical and employment records and other documents used in deciding your claim.

Anyone else who had copies of your records because they were involved with your hearing—such as the Government of Canada or a church—is required to keep them confidential and destroy their copies after they are no longer needed for your claim.

Why am I being asked about my records now?

In October 2017, the Supreme Court of Canada decided what happens to IAP and ADR records after claims are finished.

The Supreme Court ruled that you were promised confidentiality and that promise is being kept. As a claimant, you and you alone choose what happens to your records.

What are my choices?

  • You may do nothing. Your records will remain confidential. On September 19, 2027 they will be automatically destroyed.
  • You may get a copy for yourself, to keep or to share with others.
  • You may choose to preserve your records at the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation (NCTR) for history, education, and research.
  • You may choose to get a copy for yourself and also preserve them at the NCTR.


Privacy of other people

If you get a copy of your records for yourself, or have them preserved at the NCTR, information that identifies other people will be blocked out. That way, you control what happens to your records and the privacy of others is respected.

Preserving the history of Indian residential schools

The NCTR was created to preserve the history and legacy of Canada’s residential schools. It has a responsibility to foster truth, reconciliation, and healing.

Hosted at the University of Manitoba, it is the permanent home for the records of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC).

The NCTR welcomes those who made IAP or ADR claims to add their records to this collection. Preserving your records at the NCTR will help future generations understand the history and impacts of residential schools.

How would my records be used at the NCTR?

NCTR records will be used for education and research. If you choose to include your records, you may choose either restricted or open access.

  • Restricted access means your personal information will not be available to the public. It will be available to the NCTR and authorized researchers but won’t be available to the public or to your family, and won’t be published.
  • Open access means that your records and personal information may be shared with the public, which may include your family.

Your personal information is your name and other information that could be used to identify you.

The NCTR is committed to the respectful use of your records. Records are kept in a secure database managed by carefully trained staff. However, there is always some risk of unauthorized use or disclosure.

What do I need to do?

To keep your records confidential you don’t need to do anything. On September 19, 2027 they will be destroyed.

To get a copy of your records you must complete a request form and send it to the IAP Secretariat.

To ask the IAP Secretariat to send your records to the NCTR, complete a consent form and send it to the Secretariat. To get these forms or more information, use the contact information on the back of this booklet.

If you choose to get a copy of your records or preserve them at the NCTR, you have until September 19, 2027. But you don’t have to wait until then. If you die or become unable to make decisions for yourself, nobody else can make the choice for you.

To get help

Resolution Health Support Workers (RHSWs) can answer questions and help with forms. To find an RHSW in your area, call the toll-free lines listed on the back, or ask your band office.

For emotional support and crisis referrals, the free, 24-hour Residential Schools Crisis Line is available until September 19, 2027.

For more information

For more information about your choices, or for help with forms, contact:

If you are feeling pain or distress because of your residential school experiences please call the free 24-hour crisis line:

  • Residential Schools Crisis Line: 1-866-925-4419

This booklet is not about the Common Experience Payment (CEP).


Adobe Reader icon Many of our documents are in PDF format. To access them, you must have a PDF reader installed. You can get a PDF reader for free from: