Notices to Self Represented Claimants

The Independent Assessment Process is Winding Down

If you have not heard from the Adjudication Secretariat
or from your lawyer in several months

This notice is addressed to former Indian Residential School students who have an unresolved Independent Assessment Process (IAP) claim. If you applied, but are unsure about the status of your claim, or have any questions about your IAP application you can either:

  • Contact your lawyer or legal representative;
  • Call the toll-free IAP information line at 1-877-635-2648; or
  • Visit our website at

The IAP is winding down

The IAP is winding down Since 2007, the Indian Residential Schools Adjudication Secretariat (Adjudication Secretariat) has resolved more than 28,000 cases in the IAP. There are still over 8,000 active files that await resolution. We anticipate holding all remaining claimant first hearings by the spring of 2016 and finalizing all post-hearing work and decisions by spring 2018.

What is the IAP?

As one of the compensation programs established under the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement(Settlement Agreement), the IAP is the only option for former residential school students to resolve these claims, unless they opted out of the Settlement Agreement. The deadline to submit an application to the IAP was September 19, 2012.

Indian Residential School Crisis Line: 1-866-925-4419

Former Indian Residential School (IRS) students may call the IRS Crisis Line, a national, 24-hour toll-free support services operated by trained Aboriginal crisis counselors. The toll-free telephone number provides access to emotional and crisis referral services in both French and English. Counselors can also provide information about accessing other health supports available to claimants.

Download PDF version of this document in English, French or Inuktitut